Artefacts Canada - Humanities

First      Previous      Next   Last      Back to Search Results      Document(s) 7 of 7
For © contact:
Kings County Museum of Nova Scotia
All rights reserved.
Artist/Maker: Hollett, Edwin
Name of Object: Painting
Category: Communication Artifacts
Sub-category: Art
Material: Paint, oil
Fibre, canvas
Technique: was painted
Accession Number: P982.703.1
Manufacturer: Maxwell Corporation of America
Manufacturer City: Concord
Manufacturer Province: ON
Manufacturer Country: Canada
Merchant: unknown
Merchant City: Kentville, (Donor believes it was purchased here)
Merchant Province: NS
Merchant Country: Canada
Earliest Production Date: 19600101 Later Than
Latest Production Date: 20090101 Prior To
Description: There are small, leafless trees on either side of the building. The sky blends in with the ground; there is hardly any distinction between the ground and the sky
Narrative: Edwin Hollett went to the Nova Scotia Community College from 1965 to 1967. His artwork is shown at the Sea Mist Art Gallery in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. This image is of the old Kings County Couthouse, which is now the Kings County Museum. The building was built in 1903, under the direction of the architect Leslie R. Fairn. Fairn was born on June 25, 1875 in Waterville, Nova Scotia, and died on August 13, 1971. Fairn resided in Aylesford and Wolfville. He designed many different kinds of buildings in Nova Scotia—churches, hospitals, courthouses, and jails-- including the West Highlands School in Amherst; the Administration Building at Acadia University in Wolfville; the Public Library in Halifax; and the Dominion Public Building in Amherst. He lived in the Thompson House in Wolfville for more than thirty-five years, and while there he was part of many of the construction projects in the area. The Kings County Courthouse was operative for more than seventy-five years. It was purchased by the Kings Historical Society in 1980 and opened as a museum. The original courtroom and its furnishings are still taken care of. Kentville was home to the Mi'kmaq, and was known to them as 'Penook' which translates into 'fording place'; in other words, a place where there is shallow spot in a river or stream—so shallow that it could possibly be walked across. The Cornwallis River bends at Kentville, and was not an attribute that influenced the Acadians to settle in Kings County. The river from Kentville to the Minas Basin is muddy, and is 'turbulent' at high tide and 'unfriendly' at low tide. The river did have shad runs, and the herring-like fish were welcome food and fertilizer. The New England Planters who settled in the area after the Acadian deportation, circa 1760, were bothered by the river separating two major settlements. A bridge was built at Port Williams as early as 1780, but it is unknown for sure. There were ferries that brought people back and forth on the river. Kentville, at the junction of seven roads, grew as a commercial center during the eighteenth century. The town was named after Prince Albert, the Duke of Kent, who had visited the Annapolis Valley in 1794. The Windsor & Annapolis Railway went through Kentville circa 1868 which made way for more economic growth. [Sources: Edwin Hollett, Linkedin, profile Town of Kentville Artists in Canada, Leslie R. Fairn, CHIN Coleman, Ed. Early Cornwallis River ferries, bridges. Canada's Historic Places, Thompson House, Leslie Raymond Fairn]
Height: 53
Width: 73
Unit-Linear: cm
Quantity: 1
Number of Components: 1
Institution: Kings County Museum of Nova Scotia
Institution City: Kentville
Institution Province: Nova Scotia

First      Previous      Next   Last      Back to Search Results      Document(s) 7 of 7