Tourism Region: Calgary
Fort Calgary brings history to life by telling the stories of the site, the settlement and the people of Calgary through an exciting process of discovery which includes interactive interpretation, vibrant exhibits and hands-on areas.
Located on 40 acres of riverside park, minutes from downtown, the site includes pleasant walking paths, an Interpretive Centre, the 1875 fort reconstruction, the 1888 Barracks building and Mess Kitchen, the Hunt House Historic Site and the Deane House Historic Site and Restaurant.
Adult (18+) $11.00
Senior & Student $10.00
Youth (7-17) $7.00
Child (3-6) $5.00
Child (2 and under) Free
Material culture relating to the early history of Calgary and its people, the Mounted Police at Fort Calgary and related archaeological materials. Also includes the Deane House and Hunt House sites and furnishings.
Approximate number of objects in the collections: 6,000
Archival and photographic material relating to early Calgary and the NWMP.
Duplicates of related material from other institutions.
Oral history collection.
Documents architecturaux •
Documents cartographiques •
Films et vidéos •
Enregistrements sonores •
Meubles ou mobilier •
Ferronnerie, argenterie ou orfèvrerie •
Textiles ou tapisseries
Peintures • Sculptures
Équipement de communication
Costumes et accessoires
Meubles ou mobilier
Objets et technologie domestique
Histoire et technologie médicales
Instruments de musique
Équipement de sports
Jeux et jouets
Armes et armements
: Terrestre motorisé
: Terrestre non motorisé
Services & Activities
Interpretive Centre is open to the public every day. The 1875 Fort reconstruction is open to the public (weather permitted); costumed volunteers are on site reconstructing the Fort; interactive exhibits; carpentry, blacksmith and craft demos; award winning film; ongoing drama presentations; family discovery corners and recreated interior displays; Canada Day celebrations; 1888 Barracks building with Mess Kitchen; the Deane House Historic restaurant; school and children's programs operate year-round
Dossiers d'archives •
Centre d'information •
"2003 Calgary Heritage Education Award Recipient"
Hands on Programs that challenge and intrigue your students. These programs will tie in effectively with the Social Studies (SS), Science (SC), and Language Arts (LA) curriculum units from Kindergarten to Grade 6.
Visit www.fortcalgary.com for program details.
Fort Calgary offers summer programs for children 5 to 12 years of age. Programs are developed on a seasonal basis. Each program has a theme and includes hands-on activities, games or crafts centered on that theme. The children will explore Calgary's history in fun and interactive ways during the 90 minutes long program.
Supervisors free (to a maximum of 1 adult per 6 children)
Minimum : 10 children or $45.00 fee
Visit www.fortcalgary.com for program details.
Programmes pour les écoles
: 5-11 ans (Maternelle à 6e année)
Activities at the Fort
· Enjoy history in the making as volunteers rebuild the 1875 Fort using period tools and techniques.
· Experience the life of the NWMP who lived in the lonely cold fort.
· Try on a Northwest Mounted Police Uniform.
· Hear fascinating stories of the Northwest Mounted Police Officers and other characters from Calgary's past.
· Experience a jail cell - from the inside!
· Ride in a virtual streetcar through historic Calgary.
· Take a walk through a 1930's drug store, automobile repair shop, newspaper publishing office and radio station.
· Watch our award winning video in the 1930's Palace Theatre, available with either French, English or German soundtracks.
· Walk the pathways in the Park and discover a bronze buffalo, community garden with its historic windmill, and an orientation exhibit that describes highlights of Fort Calgary's history.
· Browse our General Store featuring RCMP & Canadiana souvenirs.
· Take a 1 minute walk across the river to have lunch in The Deane House.
Film et vidéo
Près des transports en commun
Activités et services pour jeunes
Location de salles de réunion
Aménagement pour besoins spéciaux
: Fauteuils roulants disponibles
: Accessible aux fauteuils roulants
Other Guided Tours: German, Dutch
Services de bénévoles offerts •
Formation aux bénévoles offerte
Number of Volunteers: 233
Activities: exhibit demonstrations, tour host, orientation hist, carpenters, blacksmiths, gardeners, docents, aratorial volunteers, special events, administration
- voting right at Annual General Meeting
- opportunity to run for Board of Directors
- unlimited visitation to Fort Calgary throughout season
- discount in museum shop and at Deane House restaurant
Open Year Round:
Monday through Friday - 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Reservations not required, but suggested.
We are closed some holidays, please call ahead.
Murder Mystery dinner Friday nights. Reservations recommended (269-7747).
Interpretive Centre gift shop: snacks available.
Services de traiteur •
Infrastructure d'accueil •
Local Tourism Links
Dominion Day (Canada Day): July 1st
and much more ...
check out our website www.fortcalgary.com for details.
Publications & Products
Newsletter (4 times per year).
Rapports annuels •
Guides du musée •
Bulletins d'information •
Cartes postales •
Trousses touristiques •
T-shirts, sweatshirts ou casquettes
Other: Tour package